Sunday, April 1, 2012

Washington DC

Once again I took a bus from New York to DC and for the first 2 nights I stayed in a hostel. I explored all the famous sites including the White House, the World War memorials, the Lincoln Memorial, the US Capitol, the Washington Monument and also went up the Old Post Office Bell Tower which had a good view of the city. I also caught up with Melissa who I met in Seattle and she took me to Georgetown which is a really pretty suburb with lots of bars and restaurants. There is also a famous cupcake place there and we lined up down the street to get cupcakes. Apparently the line is much longer on the weekends! 

The next two nights I stayed with Nikki who I met while she was on exchange in Wollongong about 3 years ago. She had tickets to a baseball game (Washington Nationals vs. Boston Red Sox) and had a few extra tickets so I invited two German guys that I met in my room at the hostel. Baseball is a bit slow but like all American sports games the atmosphere was amazing. We then went down to see the monuments and memorials again because they are really pretty at night and then went out to a bar in Georgetown. The next day Nikki and I went paddleboating (think 10 Things I Hate About You) and to the Arlington National Cemetery. The Cemetery was really beautiful and we watched the changing of the guards which happens ever half hour. 

 The White House

Line to get cupcakes!

Chris, Thomas and I at the baseball

 The Washington Monument at sunset

Nikki and I paddleboating

No comments:

Post a Comment